General Information

  • Reverend Rolando Fonseca [Administrator]
  • P.O. Box 356. Marfa, TX 79843 Phone [Fax]: (432) 729-4694
  • Weekend Services: Saturdays 5:00pm [English], Sundays 8:00 [Spanish] & 10:00am [English]
  • Daily Services: Tuesday - Friday 7:00am. First Fridays: 6:00pm
  • Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament: Every first Friday of the month from 12:00 noon to 12:45pm with Benediction.
  • Reconciliation: Saturdays 4:00pm
  • Office Hours: Tuesday thru Friday 1:00pm-5:00pm
  • Baptisms: Make arrangements at the office
  • Matrimony: Make arrangements at the office
  • West Texas Ministry: (432) 729-3385

Saturday, May 31, 2014

New Assignment


Fr. Rolando has been appointed by Bishop Mark Seitz to lead the faithful at San Juan Diego Church in El Paso and Dell City’s Mission.  Father has also been asked by Bishop to become Assistant Vocations Director for the Diocese.  Please pray for a smooth transition.  On a different note, Bishop has appointed Father Esteban Sescon as Sacramental Minister for Marfa and Sacred Heart in Valentine.  Sister Margie Silguero will become the New Parish Life Coordinator for Marfa and Valentine.  These appointments will take effect on June 20th.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I recently watched the PBS special on Giant/Marfa. I was just a pre-teen when this movie came out and, like most girls my age, only had eyes for James Dean. I was aware of the prejudice that existed altho for the most part, it did not impact me at that point. My grandfather was from Mexico, had moved to New Orleans with his father and brother and there married a French woman and had a son and daughter, my mother. He told everyone he was French, which we grandchildren found hilarious - he looked so Mexican. He refused to allow his children to speak Spanish. Fortunately, he did not go to the extent of changing his name, Gracida, to something more Anglo. Of all his grandchildren, I am the only one who looks like him. My siblings all take after our fair skinned father. I felt no prejudice growing up in Texas City or Houston until, around age 14 or so, my best friend, a fair-haired Anglo, told me she couldn't play with me anymore because, she said, "My mother says you are Mexican." My family produced a lot of outspoken women and rather than be cowed by what was, in truth, a devastating blow, I began telling everyone I was Mexican, a trait I'd given little or no thought to before. The more my very French New Orleans grandmother tried to hush me, the more I told folks. But it still hurts to this day and what I experienced is NOTHING compared to what Mexican Americans have endured over the decades here. I give you this background because I want to know what I can do to help persuade the people of Marfa to take down that cemetery fence. I know many will say it's none of my business, but it is. What can I do? Brenda Beust Smith